Friday, February 8, 2013

Nova Confident He'll Be In The Rotation

The always confident Ivan Nova doesn't seem to have lost any of his edge after his disastrous 2012 season.  In an article in the Daily News earlier in the week, Nova told Anthony McCarron he absolutely believes he's going to be in the starting rotation this season.

“I’m going to be there.  Just do my work. It doesn't cross my mind that I’m going to be in the minor leagues. I’m going to be in the rotation, that’s what I’m working for."

“I know what I've got in my hand,” “I know what I've got and I know what I can do and I just have to do it."

Strong words from the guy who, in the same story, admitted to forcing pitches and throwing certain pitches that he couldn't control at times last year, but that's Nova.  And as bad as his 2012 was, there are still reasons to be optimistic about Nova rebounding in 2013.  His BB and K rates trended in the right direction last year, his fastball velocity improved, and he's still just 26 years old.  It's way too early to write off Nova, and although I don't think it's a guaranteed lock that he'll beat out David Phelps for the 5th spot in the rotation, I do think he, like other 5th starter competitors before him, will have the deck stacked in his favor heading into ST.

No comments: