(Pinch hitting Solarte for Johnson?? Courtesy of Getty Images)
It wasn't the start to the season that any of us had in mind on Tuesday night. Thanks to some very poor starting pitching and some shoddy defense, the Yankees found themselves down 6-0 before the game was an hour old. They were hoping for a better result in game 2 with Hiroki Kuroda
on the mound last night. Instead they got the same one, only half as bad.
- Once again they were down after the 1st inning. Dexter Fowler
hit the second pitch of the game, a hanging sinker from Kuroda, for a leadoff HR and a quick 1-0 Houston lead.
- Fowler tripled with 1 out in the bottom of the 3rd and scored on a fielding error by Mark Teixeira
to make it 2-0. Rough start at first base for Teix. Rougher than his start at the plate.
- The lineup managed a measly 4 singles through 5 innings off Astros starter Jarred Cosart
and they squandered a 2 on/1 out situation int he top of the 5th with a pair of groundouts.
- Cosart went out after 5, but the failure to capitalize didn't end there. The Yanks wasted another 2 on/1 out setup in the 6th inning on a strikeout by Teix and a groundout by Alfonso Soriano
. Even the run they scored in the 7th, after a leadoff walk and a Brian Roberts
single, was a wasted opportunity thanks to a GIDP by pinch hitter Yangervis Solarte
- Hirok retired 9 of the last 10 he faced to make it through 6 innings without any more damage and gave way to David Phelps
to start the bottom of the 7th. Phelps gave up a 2-out solo HR to Matt Dominguez
to seal the deal for the 'Stros.