BTW, Cashman said CC is going to see Dr. Andrews as a precuation, not because something got worse.
— Andrew Marchand (@AndrewMarchand) May 12, 2014
Hopefully this doesn't become a regular feature on the site, but there was a lot of Yankee injury news this afternoon.
- The biggest story, to me at least, is the one above about CC Sabathia going to have his knee looked at by Dr. Andrews. The team is saying it's just a precautionary move, but anytime the name "Dr. Andrews" is involved, that's simply not the case.
- Mark Teixeira admitted his legs felt tired this weekend and I can say that from what I saw of him rounding third yesterday afternoon, I thought he had actually hurt himself. He's out of the lineup tonight with tightness in his groin, but Joe says he could be back in tomorrow. We'll see.
- Last but not least, Joe announced earlier today that Michael Pineda will be out longer than the original 3-4 week recovery estimate. He started a throwing program over the weekend, on flat ground, and there is no timetable for when he'll be on a mound or back in games. This is just the next move in the series of careful ones the Yanks have made since his shoulder injury. Can't really blame them.
** UPDATE 9:59 PM- Via Joe's postgame presser, Shawn Kelley is still not ready to return to game action and is day-to-day with back tightness. According to Joe, Kelley "doesn't have the flexibility to finish his pitches."
- Also, Carlos Beltran left tonight's game early after hyperextending his right elbow taking swings in the batting cage. He went for an MRI and the team is awaiting results.
- One more. Ichiro was not available tonight because he has a sore knee and sore back from his sliding catch attempt yesterday. Great. Just fucking great. **