(Brendan Ryan, rally starter. Courtesy of the AP)
I don't know how they keep doing it, but they keep doing it. With 2 crummy starters pitching 3 innings each, a blown lead in the 8th by one of the most reliable relievers in the business, and a 9th inning rally created by the worst hitter in the lineup, the Yankees took their third straight from the rival Orioles to stay just 1 game back in the race for the second Wild Card spot.
- The Yankees couldn't make anything out of 2 2-out hits in the 1st inning, so they decided to follow up with 2 hits to start the 2nd. The second one of those was a Mark Reynolds
HR and Phil Hughes
had a 2-0 lead with which to work.
- That lead doubled in the top of the 3rd when they decided to slow play Wei-Yin Chen
. A pair of walks sandwiched around an Alfonso Soriano
double loaded the bases with nobody out, and a Vernon Wells
single brought 2 home to make it 4-0.
- Hughes actually did a decent job holding that lead through 3 innings. He worked around a few hits, gave up a run in the bottom of the 3rd, and ended that inning by striking out Chris Davis
. That wasn't enough to stop Joe from yanking him after a leadoff error in the 4th to play matchups with David Huff
. That's not a short leash, that's a gimp suit.
- And when it works out the way it did, Joe looks like a genius. Huff finished the 4th without further hazard and tossed in 2 more 1-run innings to boot. Joe split the start up between his 2 half-starters and got 6 innings of 2-run ball. That'll work.
- Curtis Granderson
tacked on an insurance homer in the 7th and it was a good thing too because the bullpen broke down. Huff's run came on a homer to Nick Markakis
(can't happen), and David Robertson
gave up 2 singles and a 3-run dagger to Danny Valencia
in the 8th (definitely can't happen) to tie the game heading into the final inning.
- Despite the strange decision to sac bunt with C-Grand, the Yankees got the go-ahead run from an improbable Brendan Ryan
leadoff hit thanks to another fortunate wild pitch in the top half of the 9th. Mo went 1-2-3 in the bottom and the Yankees had a HYOOOOOOGE win.