Thursday, January 2, 2014

Astros Sign Jesse Crain, Steal A Perfect Yankee Bullpen Candidate

I don't know how I missed this (yes I do, I was busy drinking and partying), but the Houston Astros made a nice little move for themselves by signing righty reliever Jesse Crain to a 1-year deal on Tuesday.  Crain, 32, is coming off a very good/injury-shortened 2013 season and to me he was a perfect match for the Yankees when it came to filling their void of lost late-game bullpen innings.

Crain's shoulder injury did present a major risk, but also made him easy to sign to a 1-year, low-dollar deal, perfect for what the Yankees are/were trying to do with their 2014 budget.  With Crain gone, the market for established late-inning relievers is drying up quickly.  Hopefully the Yankees don't let their pursuit of Tanaka prevent them from filling that still very glaring need.  Really sucks to lose Crain to the Astros too.  Bastards.



P.S.- If you're keeping score at home, that now makes me 0-5 in my Project 189 moves with Tanaka my only remaining hope for getting one right.  No Cano, no Choo, no Hart, no Kazmir, and now no Crain.  Boy do I know how to pick 'em or what?

No comments: