("Try not throwing it over the plate." Courtesy of The AP)
I hate West Coast trips. The whole concept of time zones really becomes a bitch when you're going to bed and the Yankee game is still in the top of the 4th inning. The Yankees certainly seemed to share my sentiments last night in the opening game of their 4-game weekend series in Oakland. They didn't generate much firepower with their bats and Freddy Garcia got knocked around for the second straight time. The A's are no joke, and they've been playing some good baseball over the past 2-3 weeks just like the Yankees have. This is going to be a series.
- No fast start for the lineup last night. Instead the tables were turned when it was Oakland who struck in the 1st inning thanks to a Yoenis Cespedes 2-run HR.
- Garcia loaded the bases in the bottom of the 3rd and gave up 2 more runs when Seth Smith lined a 2-run single into center to make it 4-0 A's.
- The offense put runners on base in each of the first 2 innings, then got sat down in order through the 5th. They were finally able to do something against A's starter A.J. Griffin in the 6th, when they loaded the bases with singles and cut the lead to 4-2 on a Mark Teixeira sac fly and a Nick Swisher single.
- David Phelps relieved Garcia in the 6th and threw 2.1 perfect innings of relief with 4 strikeouts. Hmmm, maybe they should have started the kid, huh? Phelps is locked in with his fastball command right now, and should get Garcia's rotation spot.
- Swish made it interesting in the top of the 9th with a solo HR to make it a 4-3 game, but Ryan Cook managed to close things out and put a temporary end to the Yankees' hot streak.
- Swish: 2-4, 1 HR, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 K. At least one guy wasn't affected by the long travel day.
- Phelps: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K. I can't imagine the team made the call to send him back down to stretch out just to be Freddy's long relief caddy. Put Phelps in the rotation now.
Curtis Granderson: 0-4, 2 K, 2 LOB. Back below .250.
Second game of the series is tonight, Ivan Nova vs. Tommy Milone, and once again I won't be watching or taking notes. I'll be too busy watching "The Dark Knight Rises."