Friday, March 16, 2012

ST Thoughts & Afterthoughts: Part Deux

(Please don't worry about this guy.  Courtesy of The AP)

It's been a while since I mused on the happenings in Yankee camp, and there have certainly been some major developments since then.  My takes on those developments, and a few more random thoughts after the jump.


- I know all the talk stemmed from one Andrew Marchandian source, but anybody who’s freaking out or even a little concerned about Michael Pineda right now needs to calm down. It’s March 16th, he’s made three starts, and he’s spending the bulk of his time in camp working on secondary pitches. He’s also holding his own and getting swings and misses on these secondary pitches, so clearly he can survive, and likely succeed, without throwing 95-97 every time on the fastball. If he’s still sitting low-90s at the end of April, then come back and talk to me. Until then, remain calm and be patient.

- I’m not concerned about Pineda, but I am starting to get a little concerned about the mounting injuries. There’s nothing severe, but Romine and Branyan still haven’t played, Kontos still isn’t back pitching in games, Nunez hasn’t played at all since hurting his hand, D-Rob is out, Freddy is out, Pena has a tweaked ankle, Swish has a groin problem, and now today Jeter and Martin are scratched with leg issues. Again, nothing severe, but small injuries can manifest into larger ones if they linger and players start to compensate for them. I don’t want to see key guys start the season banged up.

- That being said, if Nunez and Pena are going to miss more time, that could open the door for my boy Brandon Laird to sneak back into the competition for a bench spot. I can’t get excited about Bill Hall hitting doubles off of no-name pitchers. I’d still rather see Laird, his solid D, and his power bat get a chance. Him getting a few more hits here and there might help.

- 6 hits for Grandy this spring, 5 of them for extra bases. When he gets his swing and timing locked in, he’s going to be a monster.

- There hasn’t been a lot of power yet, but I like what I’m reading about Teix at the plate this spring. He’s not popping the ball up and he has a few hits to the opposite field from the left side. That’s what he needs to do to be effective against the shift this year and to be a more productive hitter in general. Glad to see him working on that approach and not bunting.

- I love that Hiroki Kuroda hasn’t been happy with his first two starts. His numbers might take a bit of a ding pitching in the AL, but I think he’s going to be just fine pitching in New York and will fit nicely into the “consistent veteran” role in the rotation that has been vacant since Andy Pettitte retired.

- I know he gave up a hit and walked a lefty batter after being up 0-2 in the count in his last start, but if the season started today I would take Clay Rapada as the last bullpen guy.

- With Freddy being out for a still yet-to-be-determined period of time, his roster spot could be up for competition as well. With no other relievers really separating themselves from the competition, I’d narrow my choices down to either David Phelps or D.J. Mitchell. Between the two of them, they’ve combined for a 14 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 4 BB, 12 K line this spring and look up to the challenge of facing Major League hitters.

- Another benefit of moving one of those two up, if it comes to that, would be freeing up a spot on the Triple-A roster for Brett Marshall. He gave up a few runs in his last outing, but continues to look very good on the mound. If he gets off to a hot start at Trenton he won’t be long for that level, but will need somewhere to fit in for Empire State and could transition smoothly into Mitchell or Phelps’ spot in the rotation if they are playing with the big boys.

- Dewayne Wise’s stat line would be a lot more impressive if it wasn’t all accumulated in garbage time of the games he’s played in.

- I’ve said it before, I’m going to say it again, and I’ll probably say it a couple more times this year. Mariano Rivera is not human.

No comments: