A Baseball Blog Attempting To Balance Rationality, Basic Logic, And Statistical Analysis With Rabid Yankee Homerism
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Game 54 Wrap-Up: NYY 7 TB 0
Andy Pettitte is the best starting pitcher on the Yankees right now. I know the Rays offense blows, but the guy just mowed them down like they didn't even exist yesterday. Why did he retire again?
- Pettitte didn't allow an XBH last night.
- He threw first-pitch strikes to 17 of the 25 batters he faced in 7.1 innings of work.
- He threw 70 total strikes out of 103 total pitches.
- 17 of those 70 strikes were swinging strikes (24.3%).
- 9 of his 10 strikeouts were swinging.
- His Game Score of 82 matched the season high for a Yankee starter that he set last month in his 8-inning gem against the Reds.
- Andy Pettitte is fucking awesome.
- Pettitte: 7.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 10 K. Just sit back and enjoy this ride, people. That's all I'm doing.
Who cares? Andy Pettitte shut the place down again.
Ivan Nova has a tough act to follow tonight in game 2 of this series with the division lead potentially hanging in the balance. I don't want to say I don't have faith in the guy, but there's pretty much no way he's going to be as good as Pettitte was last night.