Thursday, January 12, 2012

I'm Not Liking This Edwin Jackson Situation One Bit

I didn't put too much weight into Jon Heyman's report last night about Hal Steinbrenner and Scott Boras meeting to discuss Edwin Jackson.  Heyman basically exists to be Boras' mouthpiece and to create markets for his clients, so no big deal.

But now that Marc Carig has the story as well, and explains that Boras requested the meeting and Steinbrenner agreed to see him, I'm really starting to get nervous.  In my FA profile on Jackson a few months back, I stated that he would be my last resort as a rotation target because of his inconsistent performance and the fact that him being 28 made it more likely that he would seek a longer-term deal.  And nothing has changed since then.  I'd still rather have Oswalt and Kuroda than Jackson, and I'd rather see the Yankees stick with the 5 they have penciled in right now than sign Jackson.

Maybe the front office is once again split on whether or not to pursue a potential target.  Maybe the Hanks and Levines of the world crave them some Edwin Jackson and are forcing this behind the scenes.  It is almost the 1-year anniversary of the Rafael Soriano, and tomorrow is Friday The 13th.  I'm just sayin'...

No comments: