Monday, February 14, 2011

And So It Begins...

Today is a Monday, which sucks.  Mondays always suck.  But there was something a little different in the air this morning when I woke up.  For once I didn't lay in bed hitting the snooze button every 10 minutes until I absolutely had to get out of bed or risk being late to work, cursing my stupid job for interrupting what could have been a wonderful time in bed until noon.  For once I didn't stare blankly into the bathroom mirror while I waited for the shower to heat up.  For once, I actually got out of bed and got ready to go to work early enough to allow myself some time to actually eat breakfast.  And for once, I wasn't overcome with the urge to bash the first person I saw in the face with my keyboard as soon as I walked into the office.  What could be causing this sudden change of heart, you ask?

It could be that I'm finally maturing at age 25 (not likely).  It could be that I'm doped up on a wonderful concoction of prescription drugs and illegal narcotics, rendering me numb to the world (wouldn't mind it, but also not likely).  It could be a lot of things, but the reason is that today is one of the most beautiful days of the baseball season, the day that pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training.

The thrill of victory or agony of defeat has worn off from the Super Bowl, college football has long sense been over for the season, college basketball's time to be at the forefront is still too far away, and nobody really gives a crap about the NBA or NHL, so this day officially signifies that it's baseball season.  Across the various team facilities there will be the sound of gloves popping, the image of players jogging across the field, and the feeling of optimism that every fan is allowed on this first day of "real" baseball activity in 2011.

Cliff Lee is ancient history.  Andy Pettitte is yesterday's news.  All that matters right now are the players that are here and the guys who are going to show up today to start working on winning the 28th World Series title in Yankee team history.

It's baseball season again, kids.  It's a good day.  It's time to hit the music.



 P.S.- Can somebody please update the videos for this song with players from the last couple seasons?  I'm tired of looking at Giambi and Chien-Ming Wang.

No comments: