Thursday, March 24, 2011

Who Pooped In Buck Showalter's Corn Flakes?

For some reason, Men's Journal magazine decided to interview Buck Showalter for their April issue.  He had some not nice and rather stupid things to say about the Yankees, specifically one Derek Jeter.

"The first time we went to Yankee Stadium, I screamed at Derek Jeter from the dugout.  Our guys are thinking, 'Wow, he's screaming at Derek Jeter.' Well, he's always jumping back from balls just off the plate. I know how many calls that team gets -- and yes, he pisses me off."

"WAAAAAHHHHH!!!!  Derek Jeter is trying to get calls!  WAAAAAHHHHH!!!!  The Yankees dumped me as manager right before their late-90s dynasty took off!  WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!  I've still got an axe to grind because I built that team and never got any credit for it!  WAAAAAHHHHHH!!!  Now I'm stuck managing the Baltimore Orioles!  WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

Seriously, Buck.  Let it go.  Move on.  Grow up.  I did like his jab at the MSM's treatment of Theo and the Fraud Sox, though:

"I'd like to see how smart Theo Epstein is with the Tampa Bay payroll.  You got Carl Crawford 'cause you paid more than anyone else, and that's what makes you smarter?"

+1 for Buck there.  I can look past the Jeter bashing if you're going to call out the Fraud Sox.

"That's why I like whipping their butt. It's great, knowing those guys with the $205 million payroll are saying, 'How the hell are they beating us?'"

I don't know if I should take umbrage with this last quote because it's not quite clear if Buck is talking about the Yankees, the Sox, or both when he mentions the "$205 million payroll."  If he's talking about Boston, fine.  If he's talking about the Yanks, I would remind him to check the records.  Baltimore went 5-13 against the Yankees last year.  Not exactly a butt whooping if you ask me.

No comments: