(Courtesy of Getty Images)
I'm not even going to waste my time or yours with an intro to this recap. This game was ugly. U-G-L-Y and not an alibi to be found anywhere. The first true stinker of the season.
- Ivan Nova was on the hill again and he was even worse than he was in his first start. He gave up 3 runs in the top of the 1st on 2 singles, 1 of which came on a potential double play ball that turned into a base hit thanks to Derek Jeter's horrible range, and a 2-run bomb by Adam Jones and the O's were off and running.
- A Carlos Beltran RBI double in the bottom of the 1st was negated by a Jonathan Schoop RBI double in the 2nd, and Nova really put the game away in the 4th when he gave up 4 singles in 5 batters and got charged with 3 more runs without finishing the inning.
- The good news from this game is that Alfonso Soriano seems to be coming around. He led off the bottom of the 4th with a solo home run to make it a 7-2 deficit. He also doubled in the 9th.
- The rest of the Yankee scoring came in the 4th on another ribbie double for Yangervis Solarte and a groundout by Brett Gardner, and in the 8th on a garbage time solo shot by Kelly Johnson.
- Cesar Cabral came in after Nova, but it was Vidal Nuno who really took one for the team in relief. He got touched up for 7 more runs on 8 hits and 2 BB in 3.1 innings of work. At least it gave all the guys from last night a day of rest.