Brian McCann's introductory press conference was held earlier today. It was the typical Yankee affair, with all the head front office honchos out there, a million cameras, and the unveiling of the number a new player will wear when he's coming to a team with precious few good ones available. If you weren't able to watch live, here's what you missed:
- McCann will wear #34 as a Yankee. He said it was because his former teammate and good friend Eric O'Flaherty wears that number for the Braves. Shouldn't be too hard to exceed what Freddy Garcia did in that number.
- Cash hooked his wife up with a bouquet of flowers and a pair of #34 onesies for his kids. Gotta keep the wives happy.
- Joe said of McCann, "We think we've got the next great Yankee catcher right here." He would know. He played with the last one.
- McCann said he called Mark Teixeira before making the decision to sign to "pick his brain" about what it was like to play in New York. Because nobody has their finger on the pulse of what it's like in NYC than painfully white, robotic humanoid Mark Teixeira.
- When the topic of clubhouse leadership came up, McCann said "this is Derek Jeter's team" and added that he's looking forward to meeting the rest of the team and "falling in line."
So there you go. Pretty standard stuff, although McCann most likely will become more of a clubhouse leader than he let on. Welcome aboard, Brian. Looking forward to doing this for Ellsbury next week.
P.S. Check out this picture that Feinsand got of the front office heads sitting down. Levine, such a fucking tool.
JORDAN MONTGOMERY: BACK ON THE HILL AGAIN
17 minutes ago