(Courtesy of Getty Images)
Interesting day for the Yankee rotation to say the least in the afternoon finale of this quick 2-gamer. They had latest Triple-A replacement Band-Aid Chase Whitley on the mound and were facing potential trade target to upgrade from said Triple-A replacements Jeff Samardzija, the guy who Matt Garza advised to "pitch your way out of there" before he left via free agency this past offseason. Nobody knows if Samardzija was pitching as an audition today, but if he was I think he nailed it. Too bad he plays for the Cubs and they gagged it away for him again.
- Wasn't much going for the offense through 4. They went down in order in the 1st and the 3rd and left 2 stranded in the 2nd and 4th. Brian McCann was one of the stranded both times.
- Whitley was up to the task of matching Samardzija for 0's, albeit in his tightrope-walking way. He worked around 2 on/1 out in the 1st and a 2-out double in the 2nd, and retired the side 1-2-3 in the 3rd.
- The Cubs got to him in the 4th, and once again the infield defense was a factor. GB single through the hole at short, infield single off a Teix deflection, sac fly, 1-0 Chicago.
- As he did in Whitley's first start, Joe went quick hook with him and went to his 'pen early. With 1 out in the 5th and a runner on third, Dellin Betance got the call and neutralized the threat with 1.2 perfect innings and 3 strikeouts.
- Adam Warren took over in the 7th and gave up another big run on a 1-out triple and a squeeze play, and all hope looked lost until the top of the 9th, when a bases loaded throwing error by Darwin Barney turned 1 run into 2 and sent the game into extra innings.
- Both teams slogged through 12 before former Yankee Jose Veras became the first reliever to blink, giving up 2 runs in the top of the 13th. Joe finally felt safe to bring in D-Rob in a save situation and D-Rob nailed it down to salvage the split.