First day of camp yesterday. Here were the highlights:
- CC Sabathia weighed in at 275 pounds, down 40 from his weight when he first came to the Yankees. He said he feels great and I think it's great that he's in better shape. If you don't, I don't know what to tell you.
- Masahiro Tanaka was given Mariano Rivera's old locker in the clubhouse. Nbd but kbd.
- David Phelps and Adam Warren both threw to hitters yesterday. They've both been working out and throwing at the complex for a while, so they seem to be the farthest along out of the pitchers right now. Always good to get a headstart when you're competing for a rotation spot.
- A day after catching Tanaka's first bullpen session, Francisco Cervelli caught Michael Pineda and had nothing but good things to say about him. According to Cervelli, the difference between Pineda's stuff last year and this year was noticeable.
- Joe held his annual camp-opening presser and talked a lot about Derek Jeter. Most interesting thing was probably Joe saying that it would be "ideal" to bat Jeter 2nd and split up his lefty bats.
- Joe also said Kelly Johnson is the backup first baseman right now.
- J.R. Murphy is now going as John Ryan Murphy, his actual name. Can't wait to hear that during game broadcasts.
Yanks' Judge chips tooth in walkoff celebration
11 minutes ago