It's Friday, it's been a long week, we're all shot. No sense in trying to construct something clever or insightful. I'll just let the random literary diarrhea flow.
- Is Ron Washington still secretly on coke? Like a lot of it? I watched the clip of him on SC last night giving his "thought" on how the 9th inning played out, and all he did was recap what happened, recite the play-by-play, and that was it. Dude sounded completely strung out, like there wasn't a whole lot firing upstairs. Entertaining sure, but nothing that was worthy of putting in a story about the game.
- If Cory Wade can replicate 2011's success next year (assuming he's still with the Yankees), where does Joba fit into the bullpen hierarchy when he returns? The 7th-9th innings are locked down, Wade has flourished in the middle-innings role, and the Yankees always seem to pluck an arm from somewhere that turns into something useful (maybe Kontos a/o Ryan Pope in 2012).
- And if Joba does get stuck at the bottom of the barrel, does he automatically become the best "garbage time" mop-up man in baseball history?
- I still can't let go of the belief that Brett Gardner's swing could be tweaked a little to generate some more power, and I still can't believe Dr. Long isn't trying to work on that with him. With his speed, Gardner could get 20-30 triples a year if he could put the ball into the gaps more.
- Who's playing RF in 2012 if the Yankees decide not to bring back Swish? Beltran? Vlad Guerrero? J.D. Drew?? Blech! Not to mention the fact that the Yankees' internal crop of OF replacements are either not that great (Golson, Maxwell, Parraz, Brewer, Melky Mesa) or too far away from the big leagues (Almonte, Heathcott, Mason Williams).
- If I'm Cash, part of the new contract negotiations with CC would involve demanding that he add a couple new styles to his stable of custom Air Jordan cleats. I was never an Air Jordan guy (being very white and very bad at basketball), but those Jordan spikes are the shit!
- If Wallace Matthews seriously thinks the Yankees are going to target Albert Pujols this offseason, then he's even further out there than I thought.
- The whole Sawxenfreude beer saga is still just as hilarious this week as it was last week. I actually check ESPN Bahhhhhston every day just to see if there's a new article about it.
- In fairness to Beckett, Lester, and Lackey, I would have been in the clubhouse pounding beers too if I was pitching that horribly. Boom, roasted!
- Anybody who wears a Yankee jersey with the player's last name on it is an asshole. Real Yankee fans know who wears/wore which numbers. Every time I see somebody with a #2 jersey with "Jeter" on it, or #7 with "Mantle," I want to scream.
- I forget where I saw this originally, but it's just as funny now as it was then. Kudos to whoever thought this up:
Happy Friday, everybody.
Around the System - May 21
33 minutes ago