- Brien at IIATMS leads us off with a complete FJM-style destruction of Bill Madden's latest "column." I thought I was starting to step my FJM game up, but holy freakin' crap! Brien completely knocks this one out of the park and I commend him for a job well done. I couldn't have said any of that better than he did if I wanted to and devoted the rest of my life to trying to. If you're keeping score at home that's Brien- 1, Bill Madden- 0.
/gives Brien a standing ovation
- Rob A. at Bronx Baseball Daily takes a hack at predicting the Yanks' latest 25-man roster and does a pretty solid job. I can't say I share his faith that Andy is coming back to take Mitre's place in the rotation, or that Brackman or Noesi would be the first options to fill the "long man" role in the bullpen right out of the gate, but we'll see what happens when ST starts.
- Larry Koestler at Yankeeist becomes the latest to make the "Joba for 5th Starter" argument, and takes it to a whole new level by writing a letter to Cash practically pleading with him to give Joba a shot. Once again I will go on the record as a firm believer that Joba should be in the 'pen, but you can't argue with Larry's numbers.
- On the other end of the potential 5th starter spectrum, Mike Silva at NY Baseball Digest tries to make a case for Kei Igawa. Uhhhh, no. No. Hell no. Fuck no. A thousand times no. I don't care what they are paying him or what kind of chance he got to be a real starter, Kei Igawa fucking sucks and has no business being on a Major League pitching mound. But hey, read Mike's case and make your own decision.
- Jesse Ghiorzi was the latest "pinch hitter" at LoHud and put together a solid piece discussing Andy Pettitte's HOF credentials. I, like Jesse, am a big Pettitte fan, but I also, like Jesse, recognize that Andy's numbers don't add up to being HOF worthy. Hall of Very Good, yes. But not Hall of Fame.
- All kinds of good stuff going on at RAB with their new weekend crew. Stephen Rhoads had a solid post about his recent interaction with Mark Teixeira and Teix's perceived boringness.
- And Brock Cohen came up with a very humorous post built around quantifying players' GRIT factors. Any time you can combine bagging on traditional MSM bullshit and take shots at Dustin Pedroia, I'm on board with it.
- Lastly, Mike Axisa, my number one source for logical pitching opinions, makes the argument today that The Meat Tray might actually be the best option for 5th starter. The numbers support it and I would certainly welcome him over Millwood or Garcia, the question is will Cash and the ownership?
Oh, by the way, here's Derek Jeter's new house:
(Photo courtesy of TBO.com)
Boy, I bet it's gonna suck to live there.