(Courtesy of Getty Images)
I'm not even going to waste my time or yours with an intro to this recap. This game was ugly. U-G-L-Y and not an alibi to be found anywhere. The first true stinker of the season.
- Ivan Nova was on the hill again and he was even worse than he was in his first start. He gave up 3 runs in the top of the 1st on 2 singles, 1 of which came on a potential double play ball that turned into a base hit thanks to Derek Jeter's horrible range, and a 2-run bomb by Adam Jones and the O's were off and running.
- A Carlos Beltran RBI double in the bottom of the 1st was negated by a Jonathan Schoop RBI double in the 2nd, and Nova really put the game away in the 4th when he gave up 4 singles in 5 batters and got charged with 3 more runs without finishing the inning.
- The good news from this game is that Alfonso Soriano seems to be coming around. He led off the bottom of the 4th with a solo home run to make it a 7-2 deficit. He also doubled in the 9th.
- The rest of the Yankee scoring came in the 4th on another ribbie double for Yangervis Solarte and a groundout by Brett Gardner, and in the 8th on a garbage time solo shot by Kelly Johnson.
- Cesar Cabral came in after Nova, but it was Vidal Nuno who really took one for the team in relief. He got touched up for 7 more runs on 8 hits and 2 BB in 3.1 innings of work. At least it gave all the guys from last night a day of rest.
- Ellsbury: 3-4, 1 2B, 1 R, 1 SB. Dude is doing work from the 3-spot in the lineup. With the guys behind him still not collectively figuring it out, I say keep him there until Teix comes back.
- Soriano: 2-4, 1 2B, 1 HR, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 LOB. Hey there, Medonza Line! I see you.
- Nova: 3.2 IP, 10 H, 7 ER, 0 BB, 3 K. He sucked. Jeter's shitty range let him down in the 1st inning, but that doesn't change the fact that Nova flat out sucked. It was a vintage Nova performance, good enough stuff to get 2 strikes on guys but bad enough command to let them smack him around the yard with 2 strikes. He really lost his fastball command in the 4th and that was when it all fell apart. It's still only 2 starts into the season, but this has not at all been what I expected to see from Ivan after his finish to 2013 and his ST.
- Nuno: 3.1 IP, 8 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 2 K. The Yanks still had life after pulling within 3 in the 4th. Nuno shoveled the rest of the dirt on them when he blew up in the 6th.
Rubber match tomorrow before the Sawx come to town this weekend and it's back to a night game. Masahiro Tanaka makes his Yankee Stadium debut against Miguel Gonzalez.