(Fielding errors are HILARIOUS!! Courtesy of the AP)
The first full-squad workout was yesterday and there was lots going on. Only a few more days before ST games start!
- Michael Pineda was the premiere bullpen session of the day. He threw to Peter O'Brien, who gave a very positive report on what he saw. Lot of that going around early in camp...
- Fellow 5th starter competitors Adam Warren and Vidal Nuno threw BP early in the morning. There were a slew of other pitchers throwing live BP later in the day, most notably Preston Claiborne, Dellin Betances, and Jose Ramirez.
- Infield drills and BP groups were the major assignments of the day for the first workout. Utility IF candidates worked at multiple positions.
- Derek Jeter told reporters he dropped a few pounds, down to 193 from his customary 199, to ease the strain on his legs. Can't knock the logic there.
- Alfonso Soriano was out with the flu and could miss another day or 2 before he's ready to go. Nothing serious, but enough to call him the first health casualty of the year.
- Guest instructors for the day were Willie Randolph and Hideki Matsui. Lotta Japanese star power on display with Matsui, Ichiro, and Tanaka all together on the same field.