You probably figured it out from seeing the final score, but all you really need to know is that this was one of the classic Bad Phil Hughes starts.
- Hughes avoided disaster in the first 2 innings before it all came crashing down in the 3rd. He went double-single-double to put a run on the board, then intentionally walked David Ortiz to load the bases and try to avoid the big inning. It didn't work. He couldn't put away Mike Napoli despite getting ahead 0-2, Napoli hit a grand slam to make it 5-0, and that was basically that.
- The Yanks got their lone run on a Chris Stewart sac fly in the 4th, otherwise they were stopped by Felix Doubront.
- Adam Warren took it on the chin in garbage time, giving up 6 runs on 8 hits in 3 IP. Ugly stuff.
- Nobody: The whole team basically sucked yesterday.
- Hughes: 4.1 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 7 K. Hughes threw 100 pitches yesterday, 29 of which were fouled off. That's when you know he doesn't have it.
Rubber game's tonight. Hiroki Kuroda and Clay Buchholz is the pitching matchup.