I don't care when it happens, beating the Red Sox is always great. The Yankees took them down 8-1 yesterday, which made the fact that I forgot I was supposed to live blog the game even more painful.
- The star of the day was Michael Pineda, who made his second ST start and looked damn good doing it. Pineda threw 4.1 shutout innings, gave up 4 hits and no walks, and struck out 5. He threw 60 pitches, 45 for strikes, and all 5 of his Ks came on swinging sliders. He was sitting low 90s with his fastball and touched 94.
- Jacoby Ellsbury continued to progress, going through a full day of workouts. Joe said he won't play today or tomorrow, and that he won't put Ellsbury back in the lineup until a day or 2 after Ellsbury tells him he's good.
- Brendan Ryan also did a full day's work with no problems and the plan is for him to play again on Thursday.
- David Phelps, CC Sabathia, and Masahiro Tanaka all threw bullpens in the morning.
- Big day of roster cuts. 12 MiLers got the axe, including Chase Whitley, Tyler Austin, Mason Williams, Mark Montgomery, and Corban Joseph.
1 hour ago