(Fuck. Courtesy of the AP)
I'll say this about last night's game. It's a good thing I wasn't home following it live because I probably would have lost my mind and broke something when Curtis Granderson got hit by that pitch in the 5th inning. This team has been absolutely ravaged by injuries already this season, more than enough to make last year look like a walk in the park, and C-Grand was one of the prime examples of that. He's barely been back in the lineup for a week, he was just starting to come around at the plate, and now he's going to be out for an extended period of time. Totally overshadows what was a very good win last night.
- The Yanks got 3 in the top of the 2nd thanks to a blown call at first base on a David Adams "infield single" Lyle Overbay was up next and hit one of his trademark doubles to right to score 2 runs before coming around to score on a Jayson Nix single.
- David Phelps looked very good again last night, working through the first 4 innings in order. He was throwing his fastball for strikes early and often in the count and the Tampa hitters were looking to swing early and often in the count.
- Tampa starter Fausto Carmona Roberto Hernandez got absolutely pounded, giving up a 2-run homer to Brett Gardner in the top of the 4th to make it 5-0. He was out after 4 innings and Tampa's 'pen had to put in a lot of work.
- The game was broken open in the next inning when New York loaded the bases and plated 3 on a walk (Nix), single (Chris Stewart), and HBP (Robinson Cano). 8-0 lead and they went into cruise control mode.
- Things got a little hairy for Phelps in the 6th when he gave up 3 runs and in the 7th when he gave up another, but it was hardly devastating. He gave up 2 groundball singles to start the first rally. Sometimes the BIP luck goes against you.
- Phelps worked up to 2 outs in the 7th before leaving after taking a line drive off the forearm. Sounds like he's going to be OK and Boone Logan and Shawn Kelley combined to finish up the game without issue.
- Bottom of the order: Combined 8-18 w/ 2 XBH, 6 R, and 5 RBI. Big night from the 6-9 spots in the lineup. Adams scored 2 runs, Nix scored 2 and drove in, and Overbay drove in 2. Even TCS got into the act with a couple base knocks of his own.
- Phelps: 7.2 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 K. The 4 ER make the start look worse than it was. The reality is that Phelps was very good again. He was much more efficient than we've seen in previous starts - he wasn't even up to 100 pitches in the 8th inning - and the no walks is a big sign that he was commanding his stuff much better. Hope Nova gets comfortable on the bullpen bench if and when he comes back.
- Vernon Wells: 0-5, 8 LOB. Vernon, that batting line. Woof! Good thing he had big sticks like Nix and Stewart there to pick him up.
Afternoon game today and it should be an interesting matchup to say the least. Tampa sends power lefty Matt Moore to the mound while New York counters with finesse lefty Vidal Nuno.