(Courtesy of Getty Images)
Busy Sunday for the Yankees today, much busier than any of us are probably having. They'll be playing 2 and the first took place earlier this afternoon. It featured Hiroki Kuroda, who needs to be much better now that CC is out, against Charlie Morton as the Yanks and Pirates kicked off today's doubleheader. Neither starting pitcher was great, but Kuroda was a slight bit better when he needed to be to keep his team in front for the W.
- On Saturday, it was all power for the Yankee lineup. This afternoon it was patience and stringing hits together. They scored 3 in the 1st on a walk, a HBP, and 3 singles, and another in the 2nd on a single, stolen base, and an RBI double by Brett Gardner for a 4-0 lead.
- The overall results were good for Hirok early (1 ER in 4 innings), but the methods to get there were a little uneven. He gave up a solo HR to Neil Walker in the 1st and had to escape a bases loaded situation in the 4th.
- Kuroda's fortune started to change in the 5th when he gave up his second homer of the day to Tony Sanchez to start the inning. 2 more hits led to 1 more run and the lead shrunk to 4-3. Couldn't keep his sinker down in the zone.
- The Yankee bats went quiet after the 2nd, I mean dead silent. They didn't put a runner on second in the final 6 innings and the only hit they had was Zoilo Almonte's 4th inning single. That's not good enough.
- It didn't have to be this time. Joe stuck to his plan of not overworking Kuroda and pulled him after 6 innings and 93 pitches. The bullpen combination of Matt Daley, Adam Warren, and David Robertson made the 1-run lead hold up.
- Gardner: 1-3, 1 2B, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K. He's been in an outstanding run at the plate for a while now. If Beltran is going for surgery, Gardner will be finding himself at the top of the order for a while.
- Mark Teixeira: 1-3, 2 RBI, 1 K. Comes up with a big hit seemingly every game.
- Alfonso Soriano: 0-3, 1 K, 2 LOB. That will probably get him the bench for the nightcap.
- Yangervis Solarte: 0-3, 2 LOB. In a bit of a mini-slump here after taking the AL batting average lead earlier in the week.
Game 2 of this doubleheader starts in a few minutes. Vidal Nuno and former Yankee draft pick Gerrit Cole will be the starters.