(Courtesy of the AP)
The Yankee formally introduced their second big free agent acquisition yesterday, holding a press conference for new center fielder to be Jacoby Ellsbury. As always, there were a few moments of note. If you were stuck at work like I was and unable to watch, here are the highlights:
- Ellsbury will wear #22, the same as some pretty significant Yankees before him wore. He said he decided on 22 because all his other previous numbers he wore in Boston and in college - 2, 46, 23 - were either taken, off limits, or retired. Yeah, that'll happen when you come to this team.
- As with Brian McCann, Ellsbury said he spoke to a few current players before making the decision to sign. Specifically, he said Derek Jeter and Mark Teixeira reached out to him to sell him on playing in New York.
- He played through a compression fracture in his foot in the postseason, but Ellsbury said he's fully healthy and able to have a normal offseason workout program. When asked about his past injuries, Ellsbury said, "“I play the game hard. I play the game, I feel like, the right way. That’s what I take pride in, going out there each and every day and giving everything I have. It was just two unfortunate things."
- Cash on the idea of Ellsbury's power playing up in YS3: “I’m not looking for that. I certainly don’t want him to change his approach because of the ballpark."
- Joe's big comment to Ellsbury: "You're no longer a thorn in our side, you're a flower in our clubhouse." Aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww!
There's 2 officially in the fold for next year. Time to get that Beltran physical over with and get him introduced too.