Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I WAS IN THE POOL!!! I WAS IN THE POOL!!!!!

The other bit of news from this past weekend that I glossed over yesterday was Phil Hughes getting cleared to get out of the pool and back onto a baseball diamond.  He played a round of catch on Sunday, said his back felt fine, and should be back on his way to getting ready for the start of the regular season.

Now I don't know much about pool workouts or how they're supposed to help an athlete.  I don't know if working out in a pool for pretty much all of last week helped strengthen Hughes' back or was in any way helpful in his preparation for this season.  But I do know one thing that had to come out of Hughes spending all that time in a pool...

And that's shrinkage.

(The first Swanny Duckson Production of 2013)

It wouldn't shock me at all if Hughes was walking around the locker room with his towel wrapped around him at all times and showering with his bathing suit on for the next couple days.  There's no telling how long it could take to reverse week-long pool shrinkage.

Just hang in there, Phil.  It happens to the best of us.  As long as you end up ready to make your first start, I bet nobody will even remember this incident.

No comments: