Friday, November 9, 2012

2012 AB4AR Season Review: The Predictions

(Not the best in the world in this instance)

I don't pretend to be the smartest cat on the block, even if I do take the opportunity to toot my own horn once in a while when I get something right.  But I actually felt pretty good about my 2012 season predictions back in April when I made them.  I made an effort to read up on other teams and where the rest of MLB stood heading into the season so that I wasn't just a loudmouth Yankee fan/blogger talking out of the wrong hole about the rest of the league.  Well, sometimes even the best laid plans go completely to shit, as you'll see after the jump.  Maybe it'd be better if I just stick to being a loudmouth Yankee fan/blogger...

AL East- AB4AR Prediction

1) Yankees: 97-65

2) Rays: 90-72 (2nd WC)
3) Fraud Sawx: 88-74
4) Blue Jays: 85-77
5) Orioles: 66-96

AL East- Actual

1) New York: 95-67 -
2) Baltimore: 93-69 2.0 GB (1st WC)
3) Tampa Bay: 90-72 5.0 GB
4) Toronto: 73-89 22.0 GB
5) Boston: 69-93 26.0 GB

Not too shabby here.  I was right on point with the Yankees and Tampa.  And I can't really feel bad about missing that much on Baltimore and Bahhston because I don't think anybody out there saw that coming.  Not a bad start.

AL Central- Prediction

1) Tigers
2) Indians
3) Royals
4) Twins
5) White Sox


AL Central- Actual

1) Tigers
2) White Sox
3) Royals
4) Indians
5) Twins

The Indians second in the division?  With that rotation?  Guh.  The White Sox last??  At least I'm 2-2 on division winners.

AL West- Prediction

1) Rangers
2) Angels (1st WC)
3) Mariners
4) A's


AL West- Actual

1) A's
2) Rangers (2nd WC)
3) Angels
4) Mariners

Can't feel too bad about missing the A's.  I don't think anybody saw that coming either.  But predicting the Mariners to finish outside of the basement with that lineup?  Yeah, I've got no excuse for that.

NL East- Prediction

1) Phillies
2) Marlins (1st WC)
3) Nationals
4) Braves
5) Mets


NL East- Actual

1) Nationals
2) Braves (1st WC)
3) Phillies
4) Mets
5) Marlins

Wow.  Just wow...

NL Central- Prediction

1) Reds
2) Brewers
3) Cardinals
4) Pirates
5) Cubs
6) Astros


NL Central- Actual

1) Reds
2) Cardinals (2nd Wild Card)
3) Brewers
4) Pirates
5) Cubs
6) Astros

Hey, not bad!  I'll give myself a pat on the back for that one.

NL West- Prediction

1) Giants
2) Diamondbacks (2nd WC)
3) Rockies
4) Dodgers
5) Padres


NL West- Actual

1) Giants
2) Dodgers
3) D'backs
4) Padres
5) Rockies

I couldn't for the life of me explain what I was thinking having so much faith in the Rockies.  They're fucking horrible and they were horrible from the get go.

So there you have it.  If you think I don't know what I'm talking about, here's something you can reference to support your case.  9 out of 30 teams picked correctly.  It'll get worse once all the end-of-year awards are announced, and rest assured I'll be back to laugh at my own stupidity.

No comments: